5 Easy Habits to Break in 2021
I think I must have found the perfect angle in front of the mirror to convince myself that I hadn’t gained that much weight. I had my first “weigh-in” on January 1 and the scale super shocked me into reality. Wow! Yikes! #$%^$#& How did I pile on so many pounds? I think, no I know, I have a lot of bad habits to break.
1. I don’t eat breakfast: I just never feel hungry in the morning, but I’ve started walking in the mornings to wake up my body’s metabolism.
2. I don’t eat lunch: Yes, I know, on average that’s probably 20 hours without food. I get glued to my desk; I can work solidly at my desk for 10 hours without getting up once (that’s bad on so many levels!). Not sure how I thought my brain was getting any energy. My metabolism has probably gone into hibernation.
3. I shop when I’m hungry: I nip to the grocery store after work…starving and of course drawn to sweets and junk food that I can wolf down to instantly satisfy my hunger. Goodbye Chicago Mix popcorn.
4. I eat in front of the television: Through most of our marriage, my husband worked shifts so invariably I was on my own.The TV was my dinner companion. When I’m engrossed in Coronation Street I don’t focus on what I am eating, so by the time my body signals “enough” I’m stuffed. My new mantra? Chew, chew, chew and take fork “time outs:”
5. I eat after 7 pm: Famished because I haven’t eaten all day, I start snacking at 5 p.m. and then eat a big dinner at 8 or even 9 p.m. And then to top it off…my favourite way to end the night…a cup of tea and a biscuit or two …or three. (well, I did live in London for three years).
It’s a long list and all the changes seem daunting, but I’ve been working on breaking these habits for two weeks, and so far I’m doing okay!
Having Healthy Meals delivered means I avoid frequent trips to the grocery store and all the temptations that can be found there. (Although I was none too happy the other day when the Mister Softee ice cream truck pulled up right outside my house!)
The meals are ready and waiting for me in my fridge so it’s easy. I do work crazy hours and honestly, my brain is already full, I don’t want to think or spend any time on meal preparation.
The hardest part for me? I really miss my tea and sweet treat in the evening. It was my little comfort before going to bed. To replace the sweet, I’m trying flavorful herbal teas…Vanilla & Honey Chamomile is good and I just bought some Aniseed. I don’t trust myself even to try half a Cadbury Thin for 50 calories …I’d just munch my way through the box.
What’s are the habits you’re going to break this year?